The Doctor of Philosophy is a higher degree by research in divinity or one or more of its associated disciplines.
The purpose of the Doctor of Philosophy is to qualify individuals who apply a substantial body of knowledge to research, investigate and develop new knowledge, in one or more areas of investigation, scholarship or professional practice.
- Request Information
- DurationThe standard full-time duration of the Doctor of Philosophy is three years. The Doctor of Philosophy must be completed in not less than two years and not more than eight years from the date on which the course is commenced.
- StructurePhD candidates present their research in a thesis of not more 100,000 words which is examined by at least two external examiners. All candidates must attend a minimum of 8 hours of research seminars at the University and either a University Research Conference or a research conference approved by the candidate's College during each year of candidature.
- FeesIn 2023 the tuition fee for a year of study in the PhD is $19,028 (full-time) or $9,514 (part-time).
- Admission CriteriaTo be eligible for admission an applicant must satisfy the SGR Committee that he or she has completed one of the following awards at the University of Divinity to the specified standard, or an equivalent award in divinity or its associated disciplines at another higher education provider recognised by the Academic Board to an equivalent standard: a) a Masters by research with a 75% average, or where a mark is not available, examiners’ reports which indicate to the satisfaction of the SGR Committee that the candidate is adequately prepared for doctoral research; or b) a Masters by coursework with a 75% average; or c) a Graduate Diploma with a 75% average; or d) a four year undergraduate degree with Honours with a 75% average. An applicant must also satisfy the SGR Committee that he or she has completed a research essay or thesis of at least 12,000 words graded at or above 75%. The research essay or thesis may have been completed either within one of the awards listed above or as part of another program of study. Upon admission, the applicant becomes a member of the School of Graduate Research.
- Admission DatesApplications for admission to a Research Higher Degree can be made at any time.
The Doctor of Philosophy is an AQF Level 10 Award. It is
- fully accredited through the University of Divinity
- qualifies for Austudy and FEE-HELP assistance
- available to overseas students (CRICOS Code 037861E)
- available on campus only
Graduates of the Doctor of Philosophy
- have a substantial body of knowledge at the frontier of a field of work or learning within divinity or one or more of its associated disciplines, including knowledge that constitutes an original contribution to the field
- have a substantial knowledge of research principles and methods applicable to the field of work or learning
- have expert cognitive, technical and creative skills to use intellectual independence to think critically, analyse and evaluate existing knowledge and ideas, undertake systematic investigation, reflect on theory and practice to generate original knowledge within divinity or one or more of its associated disciplines, and demonstrate expert understanding of theoretical knowledge and to reflect critically on that theory and its application
- apply knowledge and skills with intellectual independence, and with responsibility and accountability, to plan and execute an ongoing program of original research, and to understand explicit and implicit ethical considerations to the formulation of a research project
- have skills to present cogently a complex investigation of originality or original research for external examination against international standards, and to communicate research results to peers and the community.
Doctor of Philosophy summary information (opens to the external University of Divinity site)
Doctor of Philosophy Regulation (opens to the external University of Divinity site)
Application for the Doctor of Philosophy is made to the Registrar. The Registrar can be contacted on +61 3 9847 5432 and by email at email@example.com
Semester: 1. Summer School
DM8113B Mission Foundations
Semester: 2. Semester 1
You can email firstname.lastname@example.org for information on available courses.