DP9121B - Supervised Theological Field Education
- Unit Code & NameDP9121B Supervised Theological Field Education
This is a Supervised Theological Field Education (STFE) unit in which learning is achieved through deep engagement in approved ministry placements. This is a double unit completed over two semesters where students will reflect on experiences they have in ministry and seek to understand them in their social, psychological, cultural and theological meanings. A variety of theological models of reflection will be introduced to help synthesise theological learning and placement practice, enabling holistic development. Communally as well as individually, students will consider how scripture, tradition, culture and experience coalesce in their own experiences of ministry and leadership formation. Professional ministry standards including the safeguarding of children and vulnerable people underpin this unit. STFE is predominantly delivered in non-classroom based settings.
The unit code contains information on the level of study, field, discipline, unit and college. Click here to learn what the unit code for this unit represents.
- DisciplineDelivery ID: 44989
- LevelPostgraduate Elective
- Semester5. Full Year, 2022
- Delivery ModePlacement
Note: this is a double unit across two semesters.
Attendance at five online classes is required:
- 21 February 2022 (11am-5pm AEDT)
- 31 May 2022 (11am-1pm AEST)
- 18 October 2022 (11am-2pm AEDT)
- Dates for two other classes in Semester 2 to be determined at the beginning of the semester
Attendance at five 2-hour online peer group sessions per semester is required – dates to be determined in consultation at the commencement of the semester.
Students are also required to attend six 1-hour individual supervision sessions per semester– dates to be determined in consultation at the commencement of the semester.
Students must keep a log of placement hours/activities.
- Lecturer(s) Major Sandy MacDonald
Please indicate to the Registrar before 21 January 2022 if you would like to take Supervised Theological Field Education. An interview will be orangised with the lecturer before you can enrol.
UD Code of Conduct and Safeguarding module Prerequisites: 48 points from Field B and/ or Field C and 24 points from any Field (excluding practicum units)
Enrolment in this unit is dependent upon:
- Being interviewed by the STFE Coordinator;
- Having an approved ministry placement; and
- Having completed relevant Safeguarding training.
- Learning Activities
Learning is achieved through action-reflection on assigned placements, as well as individual and group supervision.
360 engagement hours is made up of 288 hours placement, 12 hours individual supervision, 36 hours peer group/placement review and feedback, and 24 hours planning/prep/classroom.
*This unit is offered at Undergraduate and Postgraduate level. Students may engage with people across both levels when this unit is delivered.
3 x 7,500 word Case studies - 45%
1 x 3,000 word Reflective essay - 20%
2 x 5,500 word Essays - 35%
- Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
1. Identify and examine key issues raised from ministry experiences through the presentation of case studies.
2. Reflect theologically on ministry practice and ministry context using models of theological reflection.
3. Critique the benefits of, and barriers to, accountability and self-evaluation in ministry.
4. Integrate theological reflection into personal leadership development and formation.
5. Critically analyse the core aspects of their emerging operational theology.
6. Demonstrate how an integrated understanding of child safeguarding and professional ministry standards helps mitigate risk for individuals and institutions.