BTh (Sydney College of Divinity, Australia 2007), Certificate IV in Training and Assessment (2009), Certificate IV in Christian Chaplaincy and Pastoral Care (2011), MA Ageing and Pastoral Studies (Charles Sturt University, Australia 2015)
I was privileged to grow up in a loving Salvationist family and post school, trained in General/Midwifery nursing, followed by Community Nursing which I enjoyed. Following marriage, my husband Nigel’s work with AMP led to overseas appointments in New Zealand and the United Kingdom. We were blessed with three children who experimented with Kiwi and English accents before learning broad Australian!!
It was while in the U.K. that Nigel had surgery for cancer which was to take his life at the age of 41 years. I became a single Mum to two young teenage girls and a young son. Always an active soldier in TSA ministry, in this new era of my life, I felt the first stirrings of a call into Officership and due to the lifting of age restrictions I became part of the Bridgebuilder Session. This also began a decade of further study as a mature age student.
My relationship with God and devotional life is vital to me as well as exercising regularly to maintain fitness. I relax by reading novels, enjoy great coffee out with friends and family and sharing hospitality at home. I am Nanna to seven grandchildren and love regular catch up times with them.
Areas of Expertise
- Pastoral and Spiritual Care to support the ageing journey
- Identification of spiritual needs and self-care strategies
- Intergenerational multi-sensory approach to learning and spiritual growth (through Godly Play)
- 2019 Encyclopaedia of Gerontology & Population Aging: Religiosity by Mavis Salt
- 2017 Australasian Journal on Ageing: Systematic Review of Aged Care Intervention for Older Prisoners – Bruce Stevens, Rhonda Shaw, Peter Bewert, Mavis Salt, Rebecca Alexander & Brendan Loo Gee
- 2017 Journal of Religion, Spirituality & Aging: Unique Needs of Salvation Officers in retirement and end of life care – Bruce Stevens, Rhonda Shaw, Peter Bewert, Mavis Salt & Jennifer Ma
- Book chapter in progress on my paper Spiritual care at End of Life – waiting on final editing
- 2018 – USA Central Territory Social Services Conference workshop presentation on Spiritual Care
- 2018 – Presented paper on Spiritual care at End of Life at The Embracing Life and Gathering Wisdom Conference
2016 – 2020 - A part of the International Older Person’s Network for the Global Salvation Army which was formed by The Salvation Army in May 2016 and comprises of various Salvation Army Officers and Employees from around the World. The key purpose of the network is to:
- Educate The International Salvation Army leadership on the vulnerability of the ageing population.
- To encourage and motivate The Salvation Army leadership to review their current practices to ensure ageing members of their society are valued and included and there become ageing inclusive within their missional work.
- First TSA South East Asia Zone Conference of Ageing – presented workshop on Spiritual Care
- TSA Social Services Conference USA – Presentation of workshops on Spiritual Care and attendance
- TSA Social Services Conference Canada and study tour of Canada & USA – presentation of workshop on spiritual care in Dementia and attendance
- Papers on potential Salvation Army response to the Ageing Population, Spiritual Care in Dementia Care and a spiritual response around end of life and the challenges of assisted suicide.
To contact Mavis please fill out this Enquiry Form