Unit Code & NameDP8304B Introduction to Pastoral Theology and Ministry
DescriptionThis unit provides an introductory framework for pastoral theology and ministry. Biblical and theological foundations for pastoral ministry and pastoral care are explored. People helping skills and practice are reviewed through the lens of pastoral ministry.
Students will be helped to develop their understanding of self and others through structured experiences and reflection.
FieldD - Theology: Mission and Ministry
DisciplineDP - Pastoral Theology and Ministry Studies
DateClasses will be held weekly on Mondays 9.30am to 12.30pm
Campus | 100 Maidstone St, Ringwood
Make up day for Labour Day public holiday on 9 March 2020 scheduled for Thursday 9 April 2020
*This unit is offered at Undergraduate and Postgraduate level. Students may engage with people across both levels when this unit is delivered.
Assessments1 x 1,500 word essay - 20%
1 x 2,000 written verbatim and critique - 40%
1 x 2,500 word integrative essay - 40%
Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
1. Articulate the biblical and theological foundations for pastoral ministry.
2. Assess the place of pastoral care within the overall ministry of the church.
3. Demonstrate and evaluate effective helping skills for pastoral ministry and pastoral care.
4. Reflect theologically and personally on an understanding of self and others.
5. Critically evaluate approaches to pastoral care to aid implementation of a model within a local ministry setting.
Text BooksPostgraduate students are required to do a book review on ONE of the following books; it is highly recommended that they have one of these texts before class:
Dombkowski Hopkins, D., Michael S. Koppel, and Walter Brueggemann. Grounded in the Living Word: The Old Testament and Pastoral Care Practices. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2010.
Dykstra, Robert, Images of Pastoral Care: Classic Readings. St. Louis, MO: Chalice Press, 2005. (Ebook available via EBC library catalogue)
Peterson, Bruce, Foundations of Pastoral Care. Kansas City: Beacon Hill Press, 2007. (Ebook available via EBC library catalogue)