- Unit Code & NameDP3303B Children's Ministry
This unit provides the student with biblical and theological foundations for working with children. The place of children in the life, mission and ministry of the church will be explored. The unit will look at discipleship as a paradigm for working with children. Developmental stages, learning styles, faith development, cultural contexts and duty of care are also explored.
The unit code contains information on the level of study, field, discipline, unit and college. Click here to learn what the unit code for this unit represents.
- DisciplineDelivery ID: 45899
- LevelUndergraduate Level 3
- Semester4. Semester 2, 2022
- Delivery ModeOnline
25 July to 28 October 2022
Weekly Zoom catch ups at a mutually agreed time and online.
We recommend that you allocate 9 hours a week for all study activities.
- Lecturer(s) Major Dr Christine Unicomb
DP1304B Introduction to Pastoral Theology and Ministry
- Learning Activities
Lectures, readings, videos, discussions, online forums
*This unit is offered at Undergraduate and Postgraduate level. Students may engage with people across both levels when this unit is delivered.
1 x 1,000 word critical book review - 25%
1 x Class presentation 15 minutes (equivalent to 1,000 words) - 25%
1 x 3,000 word preparation and evaluation of resources - 50%
- Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
1. Articulate biblical and theological foundations for working with children.
2. Discuss the place of children within the life, mission and ministry of the church.
3. Critically reflect on discipleship as one paradigm for working with children.
4. Design and evaluate resources for mission and ministry with children that reflect an understanding of developmental stages and duty of care.
5. Develop a framework to evaluate approaches to children's ministry.
- Text Books
To undertake this unit, you are required to have access to a copy of:
Csinos, David M., and Ivy Beckwith. Children's Ministry in the Way of Jesus. Downer's Grove: InterVarsity press, 2013. Available as an eBook at EBC Library and UD Library Hub.