DP1304B Introduction to Pastoral Theology and Ministry
- Unit Code & NameDP1304B Introduction to Pastoral Theology and Ministry
This unit provides an introductory framework for pastoral theology and ministry. Biblical and theological foundations for pastoral ministry and pastoral care are explored. People helping skills and practice are reviewed through the lens of pastoral ministry. Students will be helped to develop their understanding of self and others through structured experiences and reflection.
The unit code contains information on the level of study, field, discipline, unit and college. Click here to learn what the unit code for this unit represents.
- DisciplineDelivery ID: 46025
- LevelUndergraduate Level 1
- Semester2. Semester 1, 2022
- Delivery ModeOnline
21 February to 27 May 2022
You will need to attend weekly Zoom catch ups at mutually agreed times.
We recommend that you allocate 9 hours a week for all study activities.
- Lecturer(s) Major Dr Grant Sandercock-Brown
- Learning Activities
Lectures, discussions, practical exercises, videos, online forums
*This unit is offered at Undergraduate and Postgraduate level. Students may engage with people across both levels when this unit is delivered.
1 x 1,500 word essay - 40%
1 x 1,500 written verbatim and critique - 40%
1 x 1,000 word personal reflection - 20%
- Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
1. Articulate the biblical and theological foundations for pastoral ministry.
2. Assess the place of pastoral care within the overall ministry of the church.
3. Demonstrate and evaluate effective helping skills for pastoral ministry and pastoral care.
4. Reflect theologically and personally on an understanding of self and others.
- Text Books
To undertake this unit, you are required to have access to a copy of:
Cherry, Constance M. The Worship Architect: A Blueprint for Designing Culturally Relevant and Biblically Faithful Services. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2010. Also available as an eBook at the EBC Library.
Robinson, Haddon W. Biblical Preaching: The Development and Delivery of Expository Messages. Third Edition. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2014. Also available as an eBook at the EBC Library.