DP3795B Leadership: Task and Challenge
- Unit Code & NameDP3795B Leadership: Task and Challenge
- Cross CodeDA3795B
- DescriptionThis unit introduces the student to the concept and practice of leadership from a Christian perspective. The topic will be explored utilising De Pree's definition of Leadership as
(a) Defining reality,
Further theoretical breadth will be explored as attention is given to the five practices of leadership emanating from the research of Kouzes and Posner. Evaluation of team dynamics and conflict resolution will be included in consideration of leadership tasks.
- FieldD - Theology: Mission and Ministry
- DisciplineDP - Pastoral Theology and Ministry Studies
- Semester2, 2018
- Delivery ModeOnline
- Prerequisites30 points in Field D
- Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
1. Analyse De Pree's three dimensions of the leadership task and integrate other theoretical frameworks within a context of pastoral leadership
2. Critique a functional understanding of leadership in a team context
3. Evaluate at least one approach to conflict resolution
4. Articulate a personal model of leadership, providing a theological foundation, and an analysis of inherent strengths and weaknesses and formulate a leadership development plan
- Text Books* set texts recommended for purchase
*Jacobsen, Eric O. The Three Tasks of Leadership: Worldly Wisdom for Pastoral Leaders. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2009.
*Kouzes, James M and Barry Z. Posner. The Leadership Challenge. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2003.
Banks, Robert and Bernice M. Ledbetter. Reviewing Leadership: A Christian Evaluation of Current Approaches. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2004.
Blackaby, Henry and Richard Blackaby. Spiritual Leadership: Moving People on to God's Agenda. Nashville: Broadman & Holman Publishers, 2001.
De Pree, Max. Leadership is an Art. New York: Doubleday, 2004.
Hesselbein, Frances and Shinseki, Eric K. Be, know, do: Leadership the Army way. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2004.
Kouzes, James M and Barry Z. Posner (eds). Christian Reflections on The Leadership Challenge. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2004.
Lencioni, Patrick. The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable. San Francisco: Jossey Bass, 2002.
Nouwen, Henri. In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership. Great Britain: Darton, Longman & Todd, 1994.
Wright, Walter C. Relational Leadership: A Biblical Model for Leadership Service. United Kingdom: Paternoster Press, 2004.