DM2114B Community Engagement in a Globalised Environment
- Unit Code & NameDM2114B Community Engagement in a Globalised Environment
- DescriptionThis unit draws on the experience of Salvation Army mission and leadership and outlines the impact of global factors on ministry.
It considers global issues such as intercultural practice, community development, and the interplay of development and Aid, and issues of gender. It considers theological components of global and community mission but has a strong operational and practical focus.
- FieldD - Theology: Mission and Ministry
- DisciplineDM - Missiology
- Semester2, 2018
- Delivery ModeIntensive
- DateSeptember 24 - 29 | 100 Maidstone St, Ringwood
- Prerequisites15 points in DA, DM or equivalent
- Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
1. Identify several major ways in which globalisation affects local contexts and churches.
2. Demonstrate the ability to engage with developmental texts and issues with comprehension.
3. Demonstrate an understanding of missional practices specific to community development and inter-cultural communication within a globalised context.
4. Propose plans for mission projects that reflect both community and cultural considerations.
- Text BooksNil texts required for purchase
Barker, Ash. Slum Life Rising: How to enflesh hope within a new urban world. Dandenong: UNOH Publishing, 2012.
Bowe, Heather, Kylie Martin and Howard Manns. Communication Across Cultures: Mutual Understanding in a Global World. Second Edition. Port Melbourne: Cambridge University Press, 2014.
Clarke, Matthew. Development and Religion: Theology and Practice. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2011.
Cornwall, Andrea (et al). Feminisms in Development: Contradictions, Contestations and Challenges. London: Zed books, 2007.
Gyertson, David and Joseph Krivickas (ed.). Non-Profit Leadership in a For-Profit World. Cincinnati: Standard Publishing, 2011.
Kinsbury, Damien (et al). International Development: Issues and Challenges. Second Edition. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillin, 2012.
Rans, Susan and Hilary Altman. Asset-Based Strategies for Faith Communities: a Community Development Workbook. Chicago: ABCD Institute, 2002.
Samovar, Larry, et al. Intercultural Communication: a Reader. 13th Edition. Boston: Wadsworth Cengage Learning, 2012.
SPHERE Project. Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards for Humanitarian Response. Third Edition. Rugby: Practical Action Publishing, 2011.
Swanson, Eric and Rick Rusaw. The Externally Focussed Quest . San Francisco: Josey Bass, 2010.
The Salvation Army. Building Deeper Relationships Using Faith Based Facilitation. London: The Salvation Army International Headquarters, 2010.