DA2121B Supervised Theological Field Education
- Unit Code & NameDA2121B Supervised Theological Field Education
- Cross CodeDP2121B
- DescriptionThis is a full year unit. In this unit learning is achieved through deep engagement in approved placements and a theological action-reflection model of learning.
Students will utilise this praxis learning method to synthesise their theological learning and placement practice, enabling holistic development. This will include consideration of how scripture, theology, tradition, culture and experience coalesce in their own experiences of ministry formation.
This unit is predominantly delivered in non-classroom based settings.
- FieldD - Theology: Mission and Ministry
- DisciplineDA - Mission and Ministry
- Semester1, 2018
- Delivery ModePlacement
- DateThis is a full year unit.
Enrolment in this unit will require a suitable placement, approved by the unit coordinator, and the ability to complete at least 220 hours of activity in the placement context.
Six personal supervision sessions (1 hour each) and twelve peer supervision sessions (2 hours each) are also required.
- Prerequisites60 points from Field B and C
- Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate competence in a range of leadership, mission and ministry skills.
2. Integrate their wider theological learning with reflection on their placement context.
3. Critically engage in self-evaluation of their practice of ministry with their supervisor and peer group.
4. Articulate their developing operational theology.
5. Utilise theological reflection skills to learn holistically from practical settings.
- Text BooksNo set texts recommended for purchase
Floding, Matthew. Welcome to Theological Field Education. Virginia: Alban Press, 2011.
Graham, Elaine, Heather Walton and Frances Ward. Theological Reflection: Methods. London:SCM Press, 2005.
Kinast, Robert L. What are they saying about Theological Reflection? Mahwah: Paulist Press, 2000.
Kincaid, William B. Finding Voice: How Theological Field Education Shapes Pastoral Identity. Eugene: Wipf & Stock, 2012.
McAlpin, Kathleen. Ministry That Transforms: A Contemplative Process of Theological Reflection. Collegeville: Liturgical Press, 2009.
Needham, Phil. Community in Mission: A Salvationist Ecclesiology. London: Campfield Press, 1987.
Paver, John E. Theological Reflection and Education for Ministry. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2006.
Swetland, Kenneth L. Facing Messy Stuff in the Church: Case Studies for Pastors and Congregations. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2005
Thorsen, Donald A.D. The Wesleyan Quadrilateral: Scripture, Tradition, Reason & Experience as a Model of Evangelical Theology. Lexington: Emeth Press 2005.