DA2108B Vocational Formation in Faith Communities
- Unit Code & NameDA2108B Vocational Formation in Faith Communities
- Cross CodeDP2108B
- DescriptionThis unit, Reflective Practice - Vocational Formation in Faith Communities, introduces students to an action-reflection model of learning in a specific faith community placement.
It includes a focus on the development of competency in ministry skills. Students will reflect on their engagement in a range of experiences in connection with the life, mission and ministry of a local faith community.
This unit is predominantly delivered in non-classroom based settings.
- FieldD - Theology: Mission and Ministry
- DisciplineDA - Mission and Ministry
- Semester2, 2018
- Delivery ModePlacement
- DateEnrolment in this unit will require a suitable placement, approved by the unit coordinator, and the ability to complete at least 120 hours of engagement in the placement.
Four individual supervision sessions (1 hour each) and three group sessions (2 hours each) are also required.
- Prerequisites30 points from Field B or C or equivalent
- Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate competence
and contextualised understanding of pastoral practice, in a range of leadership and ministry skills in relation to local faith communities.
2. Reflect critically on the placement and its contribution to the formation of their vocational identity.
3. Analyse and critically evaluate the factors affecting a local faith community in delivering holistic mission and ministry.
4. Identify and illustrate how their action-reflection skills enabled them to evaluate their own learning through contribution to, and practical engagement with, the placement.
- Text BooksNo set texts recommended for purchase
Avis, Paul. A Ministry Shaped By Mission. London: T&T Clark, 2005.
Carroll, Michael and Maria C. Gilbert. On Being a Supervisee: Creating Learning Partnerships. 2nd Edition. Melbourne: Psychoz Publications, 2011.
Floding, Matthew. Welcome to Theological Field Education. Alban Press. Virginia, 2011.
Kinast, Robert L. What are They Saying about Theological Reflection? Mahwah, Paulist Press, 2000.
Kincaid, William B. Finding Voice: How Theological Field Education Shapes Pastoral Identity. Eugene, Oregon: Wipf & Stock, 2012.
Needham, Phil. Community in Mission: A Salvationist Ecclesiology. London: Campfield Press, 1987.
Palmer, Parker J. Let your life speak: Listening to the voice of Vocation. San Francisco: Jossey- Bass, 2000
Rees, Frank. ed. Fair Dinkum Ministry: Stories of Authentic Australian Spirituality and Struggle. Richmond (Victoria): Spectrum Publications, 1999.
Street, Robert. Called to be God?s People. London: Salvation Books, 2008.