CH2125B Christianity in Australian History
- Unit Code & NameCH2125B Christianity in Australian History
- DescriptionThis religious history unit introduces students to the place of the Christian churches in Australian society from the colonial period to the present. It considers a number of methodological approaches and the work of a range of representative historians.
Themes covered include sectarianism, church-state relations, denominational histories, ecumenism, migration, and changing religious demographics.
- FieldC - Christian Thought and History
- DisciplineCH - Church History
- Semester2, 2018
- Delivery ModeClass
- DateTuesdays 6.00pm - 9.00pm | 100 Maidstone, Ringwood
- Lecturer(s) Assoc Prof Glen O'Brien
- PrerequisitesCH129B Introduction to Church History or equivalent
- Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
1. Analyse significant events and people who have made a contribution to the history of Christianity in Australia;
2. Demonstrate an awareness of a range of competing historical interpretations;
3. Critically interpret primary and secondary sources and use them appropriately;
4. Construct a coherent historical argument, relevant to the needs of the contemporary church, using the conventions of the discipline of history.
- Text Books* set texts recommended for purchase
*Breward, Ian. A History of the Churches in Australasia. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2001.
Carey, Hilary M. Believing in Australia: A Cultural History of Religions. Sydney: Allen and Unwin, 1996.
Carey, Hilary M. God's Empire: Religion and Colonialism in the British World c. 1801-1908. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2011.
Emilsen, William W. and Susan Emilsen, eds. The Uniting Church in Australia: The First 25 Years. Melbourne: Circa, 2003.
Hogan, Michael. The Sectarian Strand: Religion in Australian History. Melbourne: Penguin, 1987.
Hutchinson, Mark. Iron in Our Blood: A History of the Presbyterian Church in NSW 1788-2001. Sydney: Ferguson Publications / Centre for the Study of Australian Christianity, 2001.
Jupp, James, ed. Encyclopedia of Religion in Australia. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2009.
Kaye, Bruce, ed. Anglicanism in Australia: A History. Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 2002.
Murray, Iain H. Australian Christian Life from 1788: An Introduction and Anthology. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth Trust, 1988.
Manley, Ken. From Woolloomooloo to 'Eternity': A History of Australian Baptists. 2 vols. Milton Keynes: Paternoster, 2006.
O'Brien, Anne. God's Willing Workers: Women and Religion in Australia. Sydney: University of Sydney Press, 2005.
O'Brien, Glen, and Hilary Carey. Methodism in Australia: A History. Farnham, Surrey and Burlington, VT: Ashgate, 2015.
O'Farrell, Patrick. The Catholic Church and Community: An Australian history. Sydney: New South Wales University Press, 1992.
Thompson, Roger. Religion in Australia: A History. Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 2002.