The Master of Theology (Research) is a higher degree by research in divinity, designed for individuals who bring a foundation in divinity.
The purpose of the Master of Theology (Research) is to qualify individuals to apply an advanced body of knowledge in divinity in a range of contexts and to provide a pathway for possible further learning.
- Request Information
- DurationThe standard full-time duration of the Master of Theology is eighteen months. The Master of Theology must be completed in not less than one year and not more than four years from the date on which the course is commenced.
- StructureMajor Thesis 40,000 words OR Minor Thesis 25,000 words and 2 postgraduate coursework units
- FeesFees are charged per semester. In 2018 the total cost of an MTheol of standard duration (three semesters full-time or six semesters part-time) is $16,788. The actual total cost of the course may vary as fees change each year, and if the period of enrolment exceeds the standard duration.
- Admission CriteriaTo be eligible for admission an applicant must satisfy the Research Committee that he or she has completed one of the following awards at the University of Divinity to the specified standard, or an equivalent award in divinity or its associated disciplines at another higher education provider recognised by the Academic Board to an equivalent standard: a) a Masters by coursework with a 75% average; or b) a Graduate Diploma with a 75% average; or c) a four year undergraduate degree with Honours with a 75% average. An applicant must also satisfy the Research Committee that he or she has completed a research essay or thesis of at least 12,000 words graded at or above 75%. The research essay or thesis may have been completed either within one of the awards listed above or as part of another program of study.
- Admission DatesApplications for admission to commence in first semester 2018 close on 15 November 2017.
There are two streams in the Master of Theology (Research). All candidates must attend a minimum of 8 hours of research seminars each year at the University and either a University Research Day or a research conference each year.
The MTheol by major thesis requires submission for examination of a thesis of 40,000 words.
The MTheol by minor thesis requires completion of two postgraduate coursework units and submission for examination of a thesis of 25,000 words.
A thesis submitted for the MTheol is examined by two examiners external to the University of Divinity.
The Master of Theology (Research) is an AQF Level 9 Award. It is
- fully accredited through the University of Divinity
- qualifies for Austudy and FEE-HELP assistance
- available to overseas students (CRICOS Code 011486D)
- available on campus only
The Salvation Army personnel may be eligible for finanacial assistance through the Course Assistance Board (CAB). Interested applicants should submit a signed CAB Form to firstname.lastname@example.org. All submitted CAB forms must be signed by the line manager/division to demonstrate the support of the applicant's department/corps/division.
Application for the Master of Theology (Research) is made to the Registrar. The Registrar can be contacted on +61 3 9847 5432 and by email at email@example.com
Master of Theology (Research) summary information (opens to the external University of Divinity site)
Graduates may be eligible for admission to the Doctor of Philosophy or Doctor of Theology.