You are here: HomeAbout Us › Our History

Our History

Equipping people for a life of mission and service for over a century


The Salvation Army has a long rich history in educating its people for a life of mission and service.

Eva Burrows College

Eva Burrows College is The Salvation Army's national college in Australia born out of the unification of Booth College in Sydney and Catherine Booth College in Melbourne. On 13 September 2017 the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Divinity, Professor Peter Sherlock met with the Commissioner Floyd Tidd and Colonel Mark Campbell at Sydney to sign a new collegiate agreement between the University of Divinity and Eva Burrows College. The signing of this important document in effect marked the birth of Eva Burrows College. 

Booth College and Catherine Booth College have over the years offered a range of courses with a choice of qualifications from research degrees to certificate and short one-day courses. It's graduates are passionate people who partner with the community and engage in helping others.

Booth College timeline

  • 1883 Just two years after the first Salvation Army leaders arrived from England, training began to prepare Salvation Army officers for ministry.
  • 1921 The Australia Eastern Territory Training College was opened at 55 Livingstone Road in Petersham, Sydney. Here, Salvation Army officers-in-training, undertook a ten month residential course, which was extended to two years in 1965.
  • 1980 The Salvation Army Officer Training College moves from its Petersham location to Bexley North.
  • 1995 The College is named The College of Further Education.
  • 1995 The College provides accredited vocational courses as a Registered Training Organisation (RTO).
  • 1996 The College opens a campus at Lake Munmorah with an emphasis on leadership and discipleship for young adults (this campus later moved to Berkeley Vale.)
  • 1997 Theological education opened to all, not just those preparing to become Salvation Army officers.
  • 1999 The new College of Further Education building opened at Bexley North with modern classrooms and an updated library.
  • 2001 The College becomes a Member Institution of the Sydney College of Divinity.
  • 2007 The College of Further Education was renamed Booth College. 

Catherine Booth College timeline

  • 1883 Training of Salvation Army officers commenced in Richmond.
  • 1901 A new officer training college was opened in Victoria Parade, East Melbourne. Its facade can be seen today opposite St Vincent’s Hospital.
  • 1960 An Education Department commenced within Territorial Headquarters (69 Bourke St) to address other learning needs of the territory.
  • 1979 The Royal Parade college facility in Parkville was acquired.
  • 1993 The Geelong Conference Centre was acquired to foster in-service training. The Education Department moved to Geelong.
  • 1995 Government accredited training was offered for cadets within the vocational sector. Prior to that training was internally accredited.
  • 2002 Salvation Army Education and Training Services was established in Geelong as a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) to provide accredited vocational training across Southern Australia.
  • 2006 Officer training made the transition into the higher education sector. The college became a Recognised Teaching Institution within the University of Divinity, a leading body of theological and ministry education in Australia.
  • 2010 The General of the Salvation Army gave in-principle approval for setting up an integrated facility for education and training within the territory.
  • 2012 Catherine Booth College became a reality.
  • 2015 In January the College moved to the new Campus at 100 Maidstone Street, Ringwood.

Today, Eva Burrows College stands strong embarking on a new chapter as it is built on the strengths and expertise of two distinguished Salvation Army colleges