CH3125B Christianity in Australian History
- Unit Code & NameCH3125B Christianity in Australian History
- DescriptionThis religious history unit introduces students to the place of the Christian churches in Australian society from the colonial period to the present. It considers a number of methodological approaches and the work of a range of representative historians.
Themes covered include sectarianism, church-state relations, denominational histories, ecumenism, migration, and changing religious demographics.
- FieldC - Christian Thought and History
- DisciplineCH - Church History
- Semester2, 2018
- Delivery ModeClass
- DateTuesdays 6.00pm - 9.00pm | 100 Maidstone, Ringwood
- Lecturer(s) Assoc Prof Glen O'Brien
- PrerequisitesCH129B Introduction to Church History or equivalent
- Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
1. Analyse significant events and people who have made a contribution to the history of Christianity in Australia;
2. Demonstrate an awareness of a range of competing historical interpretations;
3. Critically interpret primary and secondary sources and use them appropriately;
4. Construct a coherent historical argument, relevant to the needs of the contemporary church, using the conventions of the discipline of history.
5. Articulate the value of historical awareness for the present identity and mission of Australian churches
- Text Books* set texts recommended for purchase
*Breward, Ian. A History of the Churches in Australasia. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2001.
Carey, Hilary M. Believing in Australia: A Cultural History of Religions. Sydney: Allen and Unwin, 1996.
Carey, Hilary M. God's Empire: Religion and Colonialism in the British World c. 1801-1908. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2011.
Emilsen, William W. and Susan Emilsen, eds. The Uniting Church in Australia: The First 25 Years. Melbourne: Circa, 2003.
Hogan, Michael. The Sectarian Strand: Religion in Australian History. Melbourne: Penguin, 1987.
Hutchinson, Mark. Iron in Our Blood: A History of the Presbyterian Church in NSW 1788-2001. Sydney: Ferguson Publications / Centre for the Study of Australian Christianity, 2001.
Jupp, James, ed. Encyclopedia of Religion in Australia. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2009.
Kaye, Bruce, ed. Anglicanism in Australia: A History. Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 2002.
Murray, Iain H. Australian Christian Life from 1788: An Introduction and Anthology. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth Trust, 1988.
Manley, Ken. From Woolloomooloo to 'Eternity': A History of Australian Baptists. 2 vols. Milton Keynes: Paternoster, 2006.
O'Brien, Anne. God's Willing Workers: Women and Religion in Australia. Sydney: University of Sydney Press, 2005.
O'Brien, Glen, and Hilary Carey. Methodism in Australia: A History. Farnham, Surrey and Burlington, VT: Ashgate, 2015.
O'Farrell, Patrick. The Catholic Church and Community: An Australian history. Sydney: New South Wales University Press, 1992.
Thompson, Roger. Religion in Australia: A History. Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 2002.