- Unit Code & NameDL1198B Worship and Preaching: Essentials
This unit is designed to give the student an introduction to the theology and practice of public ministry in a local church setting. Attention is given to the development of skills and conceptual understanding that will support the development of effective worship leading and preaching.
The unit code contains information on the level of study, field, discipline, unit and college. Click here to learn what the unit code for this unit represents.
- DisciplineDelivery ID: 44991
- LevelUndergraduate Level 1
- Semester1. Summer School, 2022
- Delivery ModeIntensive
This unit is running as a split intensive.
Admission closes Friday, 28 January 2022
7 - 11 February 2022 (Week 1) The first week of the intensive will be run as an online and face-to-face class. Students can indicate how they will attend, either in person or online at enrolment.
Monday, 7 February - 9.15 am to 4.45 pm
Tuesday, 8 February - 9.15 am to 4.45 pm
Wednesday, 9 February - 9.15 am to 12.45 pm
Thursday, 10 February - 9.15 am to 4.45 pm
Friday, 11 February - 9.15 am to 12.45 pm
14 February to 6 May 2022 (Weeks 2-13) online only
1 hour weekly Zoom coaching for assessments (time to be determined with cohort, Fridays preferred)
- Lecturer(s) Major Dr Grant Sandercock-Brown | Major Dr Laithe Greenaway
- Learning Activities
Lecturers and workshops
*This unit is offered at Undergraduate and Postgraduate level. Students may engage with people across both levels when this unit is delivered.
1 x 1,000 word integrative essay on worship traditions - 25%
1 x 1,000 word annotated worship plan - 25%
1 x 2,000 word sermon - 50%
- Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
1. Describe and explain different worship traditions.
2. Identify key components of a worship service and the relationship of these components to the overall structure.
3. Develop and articulate a theology of worship and preaching.
4. Apply appropriate methods for sermon design.
5. Prepare and deliver an effective sermon.
- Text Books
To undertake this unit, you are required to have access to a copy of:
Cherry, Constance M. The Worship Architect: A Blueprint for Designing Culturally Relevant and Biblically Faithful Services. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2010. Also available at the EBC Library as an eBook.
Robinson, Haddon W. Biblical Preaching: The Development and Delivery of Expository Messages. Third Edition. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2014. Also available at the EBC Library as an eBook.