Senior LecturerBTh (St. Petersburg Christian University, Russia), MA (University of Pretoria, South Africa), PhD (University of Manchester, United Kingdom)
Prior to joining the college in 2011, Arseny Ermakov taught courses at European Nazarene College and Nazarene Theological College (UK) at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. He has also briefly served as a pastor at St. Petersburg Church of the Nazarene, Russia.
In collaboration with Andrew Brower Latz, he has published an edited volume called Purity: Essays in Bible and Theology and recently has finished working on The Gospel of Matthew: A Commentary in Wesleyan Tradition for New Beacon Bible Commentary Series in cooperation with Robert Snow.
His primary research interests lay in the area of holiness and purity discourse in Ancient Judaism and Early Christianity as reflected in the light of new approaches to the study of ancient religions and linguistics. He also has an interest in post-structuralist methods of interpretation, the issues of multivoicedness in biblical traditions, readings of modern ideologies and cultures the light of scriptural hermeneutics, and the issues of post- and transhumanism and the Bible. The issues of effective teaching and learning in biblical studies have also taken an important place in his thinking and practice. He is a member of the Society of Biblical Literature, British New Testament Society, and Wesleyan Theological Society. He is also a Research Fellow at Australasian Centre for Wesleyan Research.
Areas of Expertise
- Holiness and purity in the Bible and the Ancient World
- Post-structuralist approaches to biblical interpretation
- Biblical Theology
- The Gospel of Mark
- Robert S. Snow and Arseny Ermakov. The Gospel of Matthew: A Commentary in Wesleyan Tradition. New Beacon Bible Commentary. Kansas: Beacon Hill Press, 2019.
- "Separation or Presence? Reimagining Biblical Theology of Holiness." Pages 148-152 in Renovating Holiness. Edited by Josh Broward and Thomas J. Oord. Nampa: SacraSage Press, 2015.
- Brower Latz, A. and Ermakov, A., eds. Purity: Essays in Bible and Theology. Eugene: Wipf and Stock, 2014.
- "The Holy One of God in Markan Narrative" in Horizons in Biblical Theology, 36/2 (2014): 159-184.
- "Holiness in the Gospel of Mark: Black Cat in a Dark Room?" in Wesleyan Theological Journal, 49/2 (2014): 74-85.
- "Purity in the Synoptic Gospels" in Purity: Essays in Bible and Theology. Edited by Andrew Brower Latz and Arseny Ermakov. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2014.
- Entries In Global Wesleyan Dictionary of Theology, edited by Al Truesdale. Kansas City: Beacon Hill Press, 2013.
- ‘The Salvific Significance of the Torah in Mk 10:17-22 and 12:28-34.’ Pages 21-31 in Torah in the New Testament. The Library of New Testament Studies 401. Edited by Peter Oakes and Michael Tait. London: T&T Clark, 2009.
To contact Arseny please fill out this Enquiry Form