You are here: HomeCoursesFinder › Unit CT8722B

CT8722B - Critical Thinking for Theology(PG)

  • Unit Code & NameCT8722B Critical Thinking for Theology
  • Description

    This unit introduces students to the foundational skills of critical thinking and writing for use in the study of theology and related disciplines. It is designed to equip the student in the evaluation and construction of theological ideas through the appropriation of the principles of logic and reasoning. The skills developed will include the analysis and construction of sound arguments, identifying and avoiding logical fallacies, writing with clarity, and distinguishing between weak sense and strong sense critical thinking.

  • FieldC - Christian Thought and History
  • DisciplineCT - Systematic Theology
  • Unit Points24
  • LevelPostgraduate Foundational
  • Semester1, 2021
  • Delivery ModeOnline
  • Lecturer(s) Major Emma Moore | Reverend Associate Professor Glen O'Brien
  • Prerequisites


  • Learning Activities

    *This unit is offered at Undergraduate and Postgraduate level. Students may engage with people across both levels when this unit is delivered.

  • Assessments

    1 x 1,200 word primary source analysis - 20% 3 x 600 work short response essay (1,800 words total) - 30% 1 x 3,000 word essay - 50%

  • Learning Outcomes

    Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to: 1. Describe the function of logic and argument in theological discourse 2. Identify and construct deductively valid conclusions 3. Apply higher level critical thinking skills to theological research and essay writing 4. Show advanced skills in the construction and evaluation of arguments 5. Communicate competing theological ideas in discourse designed for public consumption

  • Text Books

    Text to be purchased Browne, M. Neal and Stuart M Keeley. Asking the Right Questions: A Guide to Critical Thinking. Global ed. Essex: Pearson Education Limited, 2015.