P9667 Personal Growth for Leadership
- Unit Code & NameP9667 Personal Growth for Leadership
- DescriptionThis course unit provides the student with an awareness of their own spiritual and emotional health, assisting them to develop skills and techniques for achieving their own maturity, and working with others to enhance this most primary of resources for Christian ministry.
It includes an examination of the emotional and spiritual health of those in ministry, aspects of personal and family life related to ministry, roles and role conflicts in ministry, personal growth and leadership: skills and disciplines, problems of anger, depression, assertiveness and their implications for relationships and ministry, and behavioural modification techniques and their role in assisting leaders.
- DisciplineChristian Life and Ministry
- Semester2, 2018
- Delivery ModeIntensive
- DateJuly 9 - 13 | 32a Barnsbury Grove, Bexley North
- Lecturer(s) Dr Christine Unicomb
- Learning ActivitiesSeminars, Tutorials, Lectures, Student Presentations.
- Learning OutcomesAt the end of this unit students will be able to:
1. Use communication skills to explain the impact that complex societal and relational stressors have on ministers' psychological health and wellbeing
2. Engage critically with the foundations of their own emotional health and spiritual well-being to achieve a high level of self-awareness
3. Reflect critically on their own evolving spirituality and leadership development and determine the part each plays in ministry
4. Critically evaluate practices and disciplines that build a sustainable and resilient ministry
5. Establish a "rule of life", demonstrating an advanced approach to integrating practices of spirituality and leadership in both life and ministry.
- Text BooksReferences
1. Barton, R. H. Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership. InterVarsity Press, 2008.
2. Barton, R. H. Sacred Rhythms. InterVarsity Press, 2006.
3. Benner, David. Soulful Spirituality: Becoming Fully Alive and Deeply Human. Grand Rapids: Brazos, 2011.
4. Bickers, Dennis. The Healthy Pastor: Easing the Pressures of Ministry. Kansas City: Beacon Hill, 2010.
5. Brandon, N. The Psychology of Self-Esteem. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2000.
6. Drew, Charles. A Journey Worth Taking. New York: P&R Press, 2007.
7. Egan, G. The Skilled Helper. 7th ed. Pacific Grove, California: Brooks/Cole, 2002.
8. Hagberg, J. O. & R. A. Guelich. The Critical Journey: Stages in the Life of Faith. 2nd ed. Salem: Sheffield Publishing Company, 2005.
9. Lewis, Rick. Mentoring Matters: Building Strong Christian Leaders, Avoiding Burnout, Reaching the Finishing Line. Oxford: Monarch, 2009.
10. McNeal, Reggie. A Work of Heart: Understanding How God Shapes Spiritual Leaders. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2011.
11. Palmer, Parker. A Hidden Wholeness: The Journey Towards an Undivided Life. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2004.
12. Rohr, Richard. Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2011.
13. Scazzero, P. Emotionally Healthy Spirituality. Thomas Nelson, 2010.
14. Whetham, Paul & Libby. Hard to be Holy. Adelaide: Openbook, 2000.