DS3727B Insights from the Ages: Spirituality, Mission and Leadership
- Unit Code & NameDS3727B Insights from the Ages: Spirituality, Mission and Leadership
- DescriptionThis unit looks at a variety of significant figures in the history of Christian spirituality, spanning several centuries. The focus is on their personal and spiritual formation and how their spirituality, as a whole, was expressed and developed through leadership and mission. The impact of these figures in transforming their traditions and their world will be explored.
A diaglogical approach will be used to engage the original contexts, concepts of mission and leadership, and their application in the contemporary church.
- FieldD - Theology: Mission and Ministry
- DisciplineDS - Spirituality
- Semester2, 2018
- Delivery ModeOnline
- Prerequisites15 points in DS and 15 points in CH
- Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
1. Locate selected spiritual leaders in their historical and social context
2. Describe how the spirituality, leadership and mission of selected leaders transformed their existing tradition
3. Assess specific connections between an individual's spirituality, leadership and mission
4. Demonstrate awareness of the interplay of these elements in the student's own spirituality, leadership and ministry
5. Analyse the impact of historical and social forces on the emergence of spiritual leaders.
- Text BooksNo set texts recommended for purchase
Goheen, Michael W. Introducing Christian Mission Today: Scripture, History and Issues. Downers Grove: IVP Academic, 2014.
Holder, Arthur, ed. The Blackwell Companion to Christian Spirituality. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing, 2011.
Holt, Bradley P. Thirsty for God: A Brief History of Christian Spirituality. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2005.
Mass, Robin, and Garbiel O'Donnell. Spiritual Traditions for the Contemporary Church. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1990.
McGrath, Alistair E. Christian Spirituality. Oxford: Blackwell Publishes, 1999.
Perry, Aaron, and Bryan Eastley, eds. Leadership the Wesleyan Way. Lexington: Emeth Press, 2016.
Schmidt, Richard H. God Seekers: Twenty Centuries of Christian Spiritualities. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2008.
Sheldrake, Philip F. Explorations in Spirituality: History, Theology and Social Practice. New York: Paulist Press, 2010.
Woods, Richard J. Christian Spirituality: God's presence through the ages. Maryknoll: Orbis Books, 2006.