DS1193B An Introduction to Spiritual Formation
- Unit Code & NameDS1193B An Introduction to Spiritual Formation
- DescriptionThe unit provides an introduction to the emerging concept of spiritual formation in the evangelical church. It draws on Bebbington's Characterisation of evangelicalism as marked by conversion, activism, Biblicism and crucicentrism and reinterprets these in the light of current understandings of spiritual formation. It invites students to reflect on their own personal history of formation and to experience selected classical spiritual practices as a way of engaging in both personal and vocational formation.
It explores Biblical foundations for spiritual maturity, as well as aspects psychosocial and emotional health in Christian leaders.
- FieldD - Theology: Mission and Ministry
- DisciplineDS - Spirituality
- Semester2, 2018
- Delivery ModeClass
- DateTuesdays 9.30am - 12.30pm | 100 Maidstone, Ringwood
- Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
1. Articulate and interpret their spiritual and developmental journey as a personal history of spiritual formation.
2. Outline a broad understanding of Bebbington's characterisation of evangelicalism and how this interacts with spiritual formation in this tradition.
3. Explore and evaluate personal experiences of engagement with classic spiritual disciplines.
4. Articulate at a foundational level psychosocial and emotional markers necessary for healthy Christian leadership.
- Text BooksNo set texts recommended for purchase
Barton, Ruth Haley. Sacred Rhythms: Arranging our Lives for Spiritual Transformation. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 2006.
Calhoun, Adele Ahlberg. Spiritual Disciplines Handbook: Practices that Transform Us. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 2005.
Foster, Richard. Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth. London: Hodder & Stoughton, 2008.
Gruen, Anselm. Building Self-Esteem: The Christian Dimension. New York: Crossroad, 2000.
Mulholland, M. Robert Jr. Invitation to a Journey: A Road Map for Spiritual Formation. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1993.
Palmer, Parker J. A Hidden Wholeness: The Journey Toward an Undivided Life. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2004.
Peterson, Eugene H. A Long Obedience in the Same Direction: Discipleship in an Instant Society. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 2000.
Scazzero, Peter. Emotionally Healthy Spirituality. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2006.
Willard, Dallas. The Great Omission: Reclaiming Jesus's Essential Teachings on Discipleship. Oxford: Monarch Books, 2006.