DP9703B Children's Ministry
- Unit Code & NameDP9703B Children's Ministry
- Cross CodeDM9703B
- DescriptionThis unit provides the student with biblical and theological foundations for working with children. The place of children in the life, mission and ministry of the church will be explored.
The unit will look at discipleship as a paradigm for working with children. Developmental stages, learning styles, faith development, cultural contexts and duty of care are also explored.
- FieldD - Theology: Mission and Ministry
- DisciplineDP - Pastoral Theology and Ministry Studies
- Semester2, 2018
- Delivery ModeOnline
- Lecturer(s) Dr Christine Unicomb
- Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
1. Articulate biblical and theological foundations for ministry with children.
2. Discuss the place of children within the life, mission and ministry of the church.
3. Critique the notion of discipleship as a paradigm for working with children.
4. Evaluate the relevant dynamics that apply when developing and evaluating resources for children.
5. Develop a framework to critique and monitor approaches to children?s ministry.
- Text BooksNo set texts recommended for purchase
Beckwith, Ivy. Postmodern Children's Ministry: Shaping Children using Story, Ritual, and Relationship Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2004.
_______. Formational Children's Ministry: Ministry to Children in the 21st Century. Grand Rapids: Baker Books, 2010.
Buckland, Ron. Children and the Gospel: Excellence in Ministry with Children and their Families. New South Wales: Scripture Union 2001.
Bunge, Marcia S. (ed). The Child in Christian Thought. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2001.
Csinos, David M., and Ivy Beckwith. Children's Ministry in the Way of Jesus. Downers Grove: Inter Varsity press, 2013.
Mercer, Joyce Ann. Welcoming Children: A Practical Theology of Childhood. Danvers, MA: Chalice Press, 2005.
Miles, Glenn, Josephine Joy Wright. Celebrating Children: Equipping People Working with Children and Young People Living in Difficult Circumstances around the World. Cumbria: Paternoster, 2003.
Nye, Rebecca. Children's Spirituality: What it is and Why it Matters. London: Church House, 2009.
Renfro, Paul, Brandon Shields, and J. Strother. Perspectives on Family Ministry: 3 Views. Nashville: B&H publishing group, 2009.
Scottie, May, Beth Posterski, Catherine Stonehouse, and Linda Cannell. Children matter: Celebrating their Place in the Church, Family and Community. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Eerdmans, 2005.
Tolbert, La Verne. Exploring and Engaging Spirituality for Today?s Children: A Holistic Approach. Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2014.
Thompson, M. Family the Forming Centre: A Vision of the Role of Family in Spiritual Formation. Nashville: Upper Room, 1996.
Withers, Margaret. Mission Shaped Children: Moving Towards a Child-centered Church. London: Church House, 2006.