DP8704B Introduction to Pastoral Theology and Ministry
- Unit Code & NameDP8704B Introduction to Pastoral Theology and Ministry
- DescriptionThis unit provides an introductory framework for pastoral theology and ministry. Biblical and theological foundations for pastoral ministry and pastoral care are explored. People helping skills and practice are reviewed through the lens of pastoral ministry.
Students will be helped to develop their understanding of self and others through structured experiences and reflection.
- FieldD - Theology: Mission and Ministry
- DisciplineDP - Pastoral Theology and Ministry Studies
- Unit Points24
- LevelPostgraduate Foundational
- Semester1, 2019
- Delivery ModeOnline
- Lecturer(s) Dr Christine Unicomb
- Learning ActivitiesLectures, discussions, practical exercises, videos, online forums
*This unit is offered at Undergraduate and Postgraduate level. Students may engage with people across both levels when this unit is delivered.
- Assessments1 x 1,500 word essay - 20%
1 x 2,000 written verbatim and critique - 40%
1 x 2,500 word integrative essay - 40%
- Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
1.Articulate the biblical and theological foundations for pastoral ministry.
2. Assess the place of pastoral care within the overall ministry of the church.
3. Demonstrate and evaluate effective helping skills for pastoral ministry and pastoral care.
4. Reflect theologically and personally on an understanding of self and others.
5. Critically evaluate approaches to pastoral care to aid implementation of a model within a local ministry setting.