DP8704B Introduction to Pastoral Theology and Ministry
- Unit Code & NameDP8704B Introduction to Pastoral Theology and Ministry
- DescriptionThis unit provides an introductory framework for pastoral theology and ministry. Biblical and theological foundations for pastoral ministry and pastoral care are explored. People helping skills and practice are reviewed through the lens of pastoral ministry.
Students will be helped to develop their understanding of self and others through structured experiences and reflection.
- FieldD - Theology: Mission and Ministry
- DisciplineDP - Pastoral Theology and Ministry Studies
- Semester2, 2018
- Delivery ModeOnline
- Lecturer(s) Dr Christine Unicomb
- Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
1.Articulate the biblical and theological foundations for pastoral ministry.
2. Assess the place of pastoral care within the overall ministry of the church.
3. Demonstrate and evaluate effective helping skills for pastoral ministry and pastoral care.
4. Reflect theologically and personally on an understanding of self and others.
5. Critically evaluate approaches to pastoral care to aid implementation of a model within a local ministry setting.
- Text BooksNo set text recommended for purchase
Ballard, Paul, and John Pritchard. Practical Theology in Action: Christian thinking in the service of church and society. London: SPCK, 2006.
Doehring, Carrie. The Practice of Pastoral Care: A Postmodern Approach. Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox Press, 2015.
Dombkowski Hopkins, Denise, Michael S. Koppel, and Walter Brueggemann. Grounded in the Living Word: The Old Testament and Pastoral Care Practices. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2010.
Dykstra, Robert. Images of Pastoral Care: Classic Readings. St. Louis, MO: Chalice Press, 2005.
Evans G. R., (ed). A History of Pastoral Care. London: Cassell, 2000.
Flanagan, Bernadette, and Sharon G. Thornton. The Bloomsbury Guide to Pastoral Care. London: Bloomsbury. 2014.
Geldard, Kathryn, and David Geldard. Counselling Skills in Everyday Life. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2003.
Laniak, Timothy. Shepherds After My Own Heart. Downers Grove, IL: IVP, 2006.
Lartey, Emmanuel Yartekwei. Pastoral Theology in an Intercultural World. Cleveland: Pilgrim Press, 2006.
Whipp, Margaret. Pastoral Theology: SCM Study Guide. London: SCM Press, 2013