DP3703B Children's Ministry
- Unit Code & NameDP3703B Children's Ministry
- Cross CodeDM3703B
- DescriptionThis unit provides the student with biblical and theological foundations for working with children. The place of children in the life, mission and ministry of the church will be explored.
The unit will look at discipleship as a paradigm for working with children. Developmental stages, learning styles, faith development, cultural contexts and duty of care are also explored.
- FieldD - Theology: Mission and Ministry
- DisciplineDP - Pastoral Theology and Ministry Studies
- Semester2, 2018
- Delivery ModeOnline
- Lecturer(s) Dr Christine Unicomb
- Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
1. Articulate biblical and theological foundations for working with children.
2. Discuss the place of children within the life, mission and ministry of the church.
3. Critically reflect on discipleship as one paradigm for working with children.
4. Design and evaluate resources for mission and ministry with children that reflect an understanding of developmental stages and duty of care.
5. Develop a framework to evaluate approaches to children's ministry.
- Text BooksText to be purchased
Csinos, David M., and Ivy Beckwith. Children's Ministry in the Way of Jesus. Downer's Grove: InterVarsity press, 2013.
Barna, George. Transforming Children into Spiritual Champions. California: Regal Books, 2003.
Beckwith, Ivy. Formational Children's Ministry: Ministry to children in the 21st century. Grand Rapids: Baker Books, 2010.
Buckland, Ron. Children and the Gospel: Excellence in Ministry with Children and their Families. New South Wales : Scripture Union, 2001.
Mercer, Joyce Ann. Welcoming Children: A Practical Theology of Childhood. Danvers, MA: Chalice press, 2005.
Nye, Rebecca. Children's Spirituality: What It Is and Why It Matters. London: Church House, 2009.
Renfro, Paul. Brandon Shields, and J. Strother. Perspectives on Family Ministry: 3 Views. Nashville: B&H publishing group, 2009.
Scottie, May, Beth Posterski, Catherine Stonehouse, and Linda Cannell. Children Matter: Celebrating Their Place in the Church, Family and Community. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Eerdmans, 2005.
Thompson, M. Family the Forming Centre: A Vision of the Role of Family in Spiritual Formation. Nashville: Upper Room, 1996.
Withers, Margaret. Mission Shaped Children: Moving Towards a Child-centered Church. London: Church House, 2006.
Yust, Karen-Marie. Real Kids, Real Faith: Practices for Nurturing Children's Spiritual Lives. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2004.