DM3718B Mission in an Ethnically and Culturally Diverse Australia
- Unit Code & NameDM3718B Mission in an Ethnically and Culturally Diverse Australia
- Cross CodeDP3718B
- DescriptionThis unit examines the cultural and ethnic diversity of contemporary Australia and explores the implications of that complexity for mission. Students will explore the development of a contextual theology, which will support a culturally and ethnically diverse church.
The unIt will consider biblical, theological, pastoral and sociological frameworks for effective mission in this evolving context, noting critical issues for mission. Models of ministry that have been used by the church in ministry across cultures will be critically examined.
- FieldD - Theology: Mission and Ministry
- DisciplineDM - Missiology
- Semester2, 2018
- Delivery ModeOnline
- Prerequisites30 points in Field D with 15 from DM or DP
- Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
1. Examine and articulate an understanding of the ethnic and cultural diversity that is present in contemporary Australia and the implications of this diversity for mission and ministry.
2. Assess the challenges faced by people who are from an ethnically and culturally diverse heritage as they adapt to the Australian context.
3. Critically evaluate existing models of how the church has responded to mission among such diversity.
4. Identify critical biblical, theological and pastoral issues relevant to ministry with people from ethnically and culturally diverse backgrounds.
5. Synthesise a biblically consistent framework that incorporates theological and social analysis for ministry to ethnically and culturally diverse people and construct a model for ministry.
- Text Books*set texts recommended for purchase
*Deymaz Mark. Building a Healthy Multi-Ethnic Church: Mandate, Commitment and Practices of a Diverse Congregation. San Francisco: Jossey Banks, 2007.
Anderson David A. Gracism: The Art of Inclusion. Downers Grove: IVP Books, 2007.
Anderson David A. Multicultural Ministry: Finding Your Church's Unique Rhythm. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2004.
Emerson Michael O and Smith Christian. Divided by Faith: Evangelical Religion and the Problem of Race in America. New York: Oxford University Press, 2000.
Foster C R. Embracing Diversity: Leadership in Multicultural Congregations. New York: The Alban Institute, 1997.
Hiebert Paul G. The Gospel in Human Context: Anthropological Explorations for Contemporary Missions. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2009.
Hiebert Paul G. Transforming Worldviews: An Anthropological Understanding of How People Change. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2008.
Plueddemann James I. Leading Across Cultures: Effective Ministry and Mission in a Global Church. Downers Grove: IVP, 2009.
Richards E Randolph and O?Brien Brandon J. Misreading Scripture with Western Eyes: Removing Cultural Blinders to Better Understand the Bible. Downers Grove: IVP, 2012.
Samovar Larry A, Porter Richard E and McDaniel Edwin R. Communication Between Cultures. Boston: Wadsworth Cengage Learning, 2007.
Rah Soong-Chan. The Next Evangelicalism: Freeing the Church from Western Cultural Captivity. Downers Grove: IVP, 2009.
Woo Rodney M. The Color of Church A Biblical and Practical Paradigm for Multiracial Churches. Nashville: B & H Publishing, 2009.