DM3718B Mission in an Ethnically and Culturally Diverse Australia
- Unit Code & NameDM3718B Mission in an Ethnically and Culturally Diverse Australia
- Cross CodeDP3718B
- DescriptionThis unit examines the cultural and ethnic diversity of contemporary Australia and explores the implications of that complexity for mission. Students will explore the development of a contextual theology, which will support a culturally and ethnically diverse church.
The unIt will consider biblical, theological, pastoral and sociological frameworks for effective mission in this evolving context, noting critical issues for mission. Models of ministry that have been used by the church in ministry across cultures will be critically examined.
- FieldD - Theology: Mission and Ministry
- DisciplineDM - Missiology
- Unit Points18
- LevelUndergraduate Level 3
- Semester2, 2019
- Delivery ModeOnline
- Prerequisites30 points in Field D with 15 from DM or DP
- Learning ActivitiesLectures, group work, online forums,videos
*This unit is offered at Undergraduate and Postgraduate level. Students may engage with people across both levels when this unit is delivered.
- Assessments1 x 2,000 word online presentation - 40%
One 3,000 word essay on mission to an ethnically and diverse Australia - 60%
- Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
1. Examine and articulate an understanding of the ethnic and cultural diversity that is present in contemporary Australia and the implications of this diversity for mission and ministry.
2. Assess the challenges faced by people who are from an ethnically and culturally diverse heritage as they adapt to the Australian context.
3. Critically evaluate existing models of how the church has responded to mission among such diversity.
4. Identify critical biblical, theological and pastoral issues relevant to ministry with people from ethnically and culturally diverse backgrounds.
5. Synthesise a biblically consistent framework that incorporates theological and social analysis for ministry to ethnically and culturally diverse people and construct a model for ministry.