DA9794B Social and Community Services 2
- Unit Code & NameDA9794B Social and Community Services 2
- DescriptionThis unit builds upon the foundations created in Social and Community Services 1 in order to further explore the contextual, philosophical and practical concerns of contemporary social services that are being delivered by Christian faith-based agencies.
There is a particular focus on management functions including program planning, service delivery and community development frameworks.
- FieldD - Theology: Mission and Ministry
- DisciplineDA - Mission and Ministry
- Semester2, 2018
- Delivery ModeOnline
- PrerequisitesDA9193B Social and Community Services 1 or equivalent
- Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
1. Describe and critique the key principles underpinning community development approaches.
2. Evaluate the capacity for community development programs to impact structural disadvantage.
3. Analyse the role of capacity building within community development programs.
4. Demonstrate a clear understanding of program planning, management and evaluation as they relate to the provision of social and community services.
5. Critically analyse the key features for effective community engagement processes for Christian faith-based agencies.
6. Discuss challenges to theological and ethical understanding that may emerge from community engagement.
- Text Books*set texts recommended for purchase
Bacchi, Carol. Analysing Policy: What's the Problem Represented to be? Sydney: Pearson Education, 2009.
Beilharz, Linda. Building Community: The Shared Action Experience. Bendigo: Solutions Press, 2002.
Egan, Gerard. The Skilled Helper. Pacific Grove: Brooks/Cole, 2013.
Hughes, Philip. et al. Building Stronger Communities. Sydney: UNSW Press, 2007.
Ife, Jim. Community development in an uncertain world: vision, analysis, and practice. 2nd edition. United Kingdom: Cambridge University press, 2016.
Judd, Stephen, et al. Driven by purpose: Charities that make the difference. Greenwich, NSW: Hammond press, 2012.
Kenny, Susan. Developing communities for the future: community development in Australia, 5th edition. Australia, South Melbourne: Nelson Thomas Learning, 2016.
Kretzmann, John P., & John L. McKnight. Building Communities from the Inside out - a Path Towards Finding and Mobilizing a Community's Assets. Chicago: ACTA publications, 1993.
Mendes, Philip. Australia's Welfare Wars Revisited. Sydney: UNSW Press, 2008.
Needham, Philip. Community in Mission: A Salvationist Ecclesiology. London: Campfield Press, 1987.
Payne, Malcolm. Modern Social Work Theory. 3rd edition. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillin, 2005.
Rans, Susan, & Hilary Altman. Assets Based Strategies for faith Based Communities. Chicago: ACTA Publications, 2002.