DA2793B Social and Community Services 1
- Unit Code & NameDA2793B Social and Community Services 1
- DescriptionThis unit will explore the theology and practice of social and community services as an expression of holistic Christian mission.
Structural disadvantage and social issues will be examined, particularly as they relate to the delivery of contemporary social services in an Australian context. A community development framework will be applied to address complex social needs, ensuring ethical and practical issues are considered.
- FieldD - Theology: Mission and Ministry
- DisciplineDA - Mission and Ministry
- Semester2, 2018
- Delivery ModeOnline
- Prerequisites15 points in Field D
- Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
1. Describe a theological basis for Christian engagement in social service provision
2. Outline a broad understanding of structural disadvantage in a range of contemporary Australian social issues
3. Discuss some of the ethical concerns that are associated with the delivery of social and community services
4. Identify ways in which a commitment to social justice can be practically demonstrated using a specific model.
- Text Books* set texts recommended for purchase
Booth, William. In Darkest England and the Way out. London: Charles Knight, 1970.
Borg, Marcus. The Heart of Christianity - Rediscovering a Life of Faith. San Francisco: Harper Collins, 2003.
Cleary, Ray. Reclaiming Welfare for mission:Choices for Churches. Canberra: Barton books, 2012.
Egan, Gerard. The Skilled Helper: a problem-management and opportunity development approach to helping. 10th edition. United States: Brooks/Cole, Cengage Learning, 2013.
Furness, Sheila & Philip Gilligan. Religion, belief and social work: Making a difference. Bristol: The Policy Press, 2010.
Gallet, Wilma. Christian mission or an unholy alliance?: The changing role of church-related organisations in welfare-to-work service delivery. Melbourne: University of Melbourne, 2016.
Lindsay, Rae. Recognising Spirituality = The Interface Between Faith and Social Work. Crawley: University of Western Australia Press, 2002.
Murphy, John. et al. Half a Citizen: Life on Welfare in Australia. Sydney: Allen & Unwin, 2011.
Murphy, John. A decent provision: Australian Welfare Policy, 1870-1949. England: Ashgate publishing, 2016.
Pixley, George V. & Clodovis Boff. The Bible, the Church, and the Poor. Great Britain: Burns and Oates, 1989.
Sobrino, Jon. The True Church and the Poor. Eugene: Wipf and Stock Publishers, 1985.
Waldron, John D (ed). Creed and Deed. Canada: The Salvation Army, 1986.