BN3795B Paul and Leadership in the Early Church
- Unit Code & NameBN3795B Paul and Leadership in the Early Church
- DescriptionThis unit provides students with a perspective on life in the early church, with an emphasis on the development of leadership under the ministry of the Apostle Paul.
It will explore the physical and social context of Paul's ministry with particular attention to his relationships with co-workers, especially Timothy, in the conduct of mission.
This unit will also examine recent perspectives on leadership in a Christian context.
- FieldB - Biblical Studies
- DisciplineBN - New Testament
- Semester1, 2018
- Delivery ModeOnline
- Prerequisites30 points BS
- Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
1. Describe the physical and social environment of early churches, as the context in which particular leaders were developed by the Apostle Paul.
2. Interpret Biblical texts in the light of their canonical and ecclesiastical context.
3. Assess the influence of personalities and relationships in the formulation of the undisputed Pauline letters and their impact upon the text.
4. Articulate the dynamics involved in written and verbal communication between Paul and particular churches, and their relevance for contemporary church practice.
5. Critique the Apostle Paul's pastoral practices as an exemplar for expressions of contemporary Christian leadership.
6. Analyse the influence of the Pastoral Epistles for understanding of Pauline models of leadership.