AL9509T New Testament Greek B
- Unit Code & NameAL9509T New Testament Greek B
- DescriptionThis unit continues on from AL8000P/AL8009T. It provides further instruction in Greek syntax, grammar and vocabulary, using the same textbook as in the previous semester. About a third of the unit will be devoted to the translation of extended portions of the Greek New Testament (e.g., chapters from 1 John), prepared in advance by the students. These selected passages will be studied for syntactical grammatical analysis and translation into English, but also to see how engaging with a biblical text in its original language can assist in its interpretation. Furthermore, there will be some opportunities to translate passages from other writings in Greek that were important for early Christians.
- FieldA - Humanities
- DisciplineAL - Biblical Languages
- Unit Points24
- LevelPostgraduate Elective
- Semester1, 2020
- Delivery ModeOnline
- Lecturer(s) Dr Arseny Ermakov
- PrerequisitesSuccessful completion of AL1000P/AL1009T New Testament Greek (or equivalent, with permission of the lecturer)
- AssessmentsThree time-limited tests (conducted online) during the semester, equivalent to 1,500 words - 20%
Two further homework assignments on non-NT greek text equivalent to 1,000 words - 10%
Two hour closed-book written examination under controlled conditions at the end of the semester, equivalent to 2,000 words - 50%
- Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
1. translate moderately difficult sentences and passages from NT Greek into English
2. translate fairly simple sentences from English into NT Greek
3. recall and utilise a NT Greek vocabulary which extends beyond common words
4. analyse the grammar and syntax of moderately difficult sentences in NT Greek
5. apply their knowledge of Greek to the exegesis of lengthy NT passages
6. translate fairly simple passages from other Greek texts important to early Christians
7. demonstrate of good understanding of Greek accentuation for nouns, verbs, and adjectives.
- Text Books* = set texts recommended for purchase
* Duff, J., The Elements of New Testament Greek, 3rd ed. (Cambridge: CUP, 2005) [the CD-ROM often packaged with this is optional]?