Higher Education Course Coordinator / Lecturer
Captain David Janssen has been involved in teaching and training in The Salvation Army for over nine years. In addition to working with cadets in preparation for ministry, he has been an avid teacher of New Testament Interpretation. He has taught units on Biblical Ethics, Kingdom of God, Pauline Interpretation and on specific books of the New Testament.
David has been involved in the development of Catherine Booth College School for Christian Studies as the Assistant Dean of Studies and the Assistant Director of the School (2015-17). He is also a member of the Tri-Territorial Theological Forum which encourages Salvationists to apply critical thinking and theology to their practical ministry.
David's research interests focus on the visual and cognitive dimensions of Pauline texts in the context of dominant the Roman Imperial civic context and their visual spaces. He is currently completing a PhD thesis on visual referents to the Roman Imperial Cuirass Breastplate statues in 1 Thessalonians 5:10 and Romans 13:12.
Areas of Expertise
- Online education
- New Testament Interpretation
- Rhetorical Analysis
- Socio-Rhetorical Analysis
- Visual Exegesis
Peer Review Article:
"The Roman Cuirass Breastplate Statue and Paul's use of Armour Language in Romans 13:12 and 1 Thessalonians 5:8." Colloquium 46, no. 1 (2014): 55-85.
- “Paul and Imperial Armour: re-imagining Imperial Cuirassed Statues in 1 Thessalonians 5:8.” Paper presented at the International Meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature, Vienna, Austria, July 6-10, 2014.
- “Salvation and the Parody of Creation.” Paper presented at Thought Matters, A conference of the Tri-Territorial Theological Forum of the Salvation Army, Melbourne, Australia, October 14-16, 2016.
- "Cruciformity in Leadership: Exploring the tensions in hierarchical models of leadership." Paper presented at Thought Matters, A conference of the Tri-Territorial Theological Forum of the Salvation Army, Melbourne, Australia, October 25-27, 2013.
To contact David please fill out this Enquiry Form